The city of Tallinn is mentioned in written historical sources for the first time in 1154. Tallinn’s master bakers were mentioned for the first time in 1312 in association with the establishment of guilds. There is more information from the 1660’s when there were 14 bakers in Tallinn, each with his own bakery.
Julius Valentin Jaeksch’s bakery on the corner of Lai and Vaimu streets in Tallinn’s Old Town is considered the beginning of the history of Leibur’s development.
1762 in November, the burgher Julius Valentin Jaeksch bought himself a plot with a two-storey stone house in Tallinn on the corner of Vaimu, known at that time as Vana, and Lai strelets on the side of the street closer to the sea and established a bakery there. That is considered
the beginning of industriaal production of bread in Estonia.
1881 – steam powered equipment was installed in Jaeksch’s bakery.
1912 – a bread factory was opened in the Rotermann Quarter at the address Hobujaama 1, which was the second start-up of the Dethlo_ bread-baking plant bought in 1886. The reason for re-starting the production was the rapid growth of Tallinn’s population.
1962 – Tallinn’s Leivakombinaat (integrated bread baking plant) was established through the merger of the former Tallinn’s Leivakombinaat, Tallinn’s Leiva- ja Makaronikombinaat (bread and macaroni integrated plant), and Tallinn’s bread factory no.
1989 – the Estonian Association of Bakeries and the Estonian Bakers’ Society were founded.
1991 – production of wheat bread Kirde began.
1993 – ¾ of the enterprise was privatised by the food industry concern Cultor (today: VAASAN Grupp) and ¼ by the Cerealia concern (today: Lantmännen)
1993 – the Association of Estonian Food Industry was founded.
1993 – Packaging of bread products began first in Estonia in Leibur.
1995 – slicing of bread products began.
1997 – production was concentrated in the factory located on Kadaka Road in Tallinn.
1997 – the sale of bread throughout Estonia first in Estonia in Leibur.
1997 – production of rye light bread Tallinna peenleib began.
2000 – Ceres Pagar breadfactory in Tartu was aquaired.
2000 – the Non-profit Organisation Estonian Rye Society was founded.
2005 – construction of the Mustamäe factory’s new wing was completed and a new toasting line was opened.
2006 – toast bread export started to Baltic countries.
2009 – Leibur was accredited with a food safety control system certificate that meets the ISO 22000:2005 standard, which guarantees the safety and high quality of products for the consumer.
2009 – the export of Leibur’s products to Finland began.
2012 – 250th anniversary of Leibur.
2012 – Leibur started the co-operation of home bread bakers and brings a new recepy from Estonains home to the market every year.
2015 – Leibur updated its logo and product packages.
2015 – Leibur / VAASAN Group was acquired by Lantmännen. Leibur is now part of one of the largest groups within food, energy and agriculture in the Nordic region.